Our learners will have an appreciation of other cultures through the learning of their languages.
The children begin to learn a Modern Foreign Language and at Great Ponton CE Primary School the language taught is French. We teach French through the Language Angels Schemes of Learning where the lessons are designed to be progressive and build on prior learning, moving from word to sentence level over the four years.
Our Modern Foreign Language curriculum is implemented in the following way:
- The lesson plans are designed to be 60 minutes in length.
- The lesson plans include ideas for support for the less able and to extend the more able
- The lesson activities are challenging, varied and interactive and develop listening, reading, speaking and writing skills
- Interactive whiteboard resources with audio support are provided; purchase of a set of storybooks and phonics book is a requisite to access the scheme and additional resources are recommended particularly for songs and rhymes
- The choice of vocabulary ensures exposure to all the key phonic sounds and ability to build sentences using grammatical knowledge
By the end of Key Stage 2 we aim for children to have developed an intercultural understanding of the French language. Children will have had the opportunity to engage in language learning, ahead of their journey to secondary school where their learning of Modern Foreign Languages will continue.